Monday, July 23, 2012

My legs are killing me!



I woke up today and almost fell off my bed. OMG, I am so sore from my workout yesterday! Now those of you who know me are probably thinking I must have taught too much Zumba again. Wrong! I actually worked my legs yesterday at the gym. The reason I'm telling you this is because weights suck! I'm kidding, although my legs might think that I'm actually doing my legs a favor.

Yoga and Pilates will also help strengthen your legs. 
So often I here people tell me, "I hate doing legs," and believe me, I get it. But your legs make up a huge portion of your body. We do everything in our daily lives because we have legs. It's so important to strengthen your legs. Cardio does a decent job of keeping your legs conditioned but adding weights is not only going to make your legs stronger, but keep them toned.  We also want our bodies to look proportioned. We have all seen the guys with the killer upper body and chicken legs. Don't  we all want to rock the mini skirts? Right!?! Well, not me of course! Another great alternative to a leg workout is Yoga and Pilates.
 
I recommend stretching before and after a leg workout. Steaming also helps relieve some of the soreness the next day. Also, taking in larger amounts of protein after a leg workout may also help with the recovery process.

Here are a few samples of lower body stretching exercises that I like to do:
 
Hamstring Stretch
   Sit on the ground with both legs straight out in front of you
   Bend the left leg and place the sole of the left foot alongside the knee of the right leg
   Allow the left leg to lie relaxed on the ground
   Bend forward keeping the back straight
   You will feel the stretch in the hamstring of the right leg
   Repeat with the other leg
 
Quadriceps Stretch
   Lie face down on the floor, resting your forehead on your right hand
   Press your hips firmly into the floor and bring your left foot up towards your buttocks
   Take hold of the left ankle with the left hand and ease the foot closer to your buttocks
   Repeat with the right leg
   You will feel the stretch along the front of the thigh
 
Hip and Thigh Stretch
   Stand tall with your feet approximately two shoulder widths apart
   Turn the feet and face to the right
   Bend the right leg so that the right thigh is parallel with the ground and the right lower leg is vertical
   Gradually lower the body
   Keep your back straight and use your arms for balance
   Feel the stretch along the front of the left thigh and the right hamstrings
   Repeat by turning and facing to the left
 
Adductor Stretch
   Stand tall with your feet approximately two shoulder widths apart
   Bend the right leg and lower the body
   Keep your back straight and use the arms to balance
   You will feel the stretch in the left leg adductor
   Repeat with the left leg



No comments:

Post a Comment