Sunday, April 8, 2012

Could you be overtraining?


I saw a friend the other day who couldn't believe how skinny I've gotten. Now that comment might make a lady happy, but for a man it sucks. Looking big and strong is what I'm trying to achieve. I admit that I find myself tired. Knowing when enough is enough is very important. For me, it's a balance between cardiovascular training and muscle endurance training. My problem is I'm only doing about two days of muscle strength training but seven hours of cardio. I know it sounds insane. That's what happens when you teach seven Zumba classes a week! As an instructor I too need to make sure I don't overtrain.

Overtraining is a physical, behavioral, and emotional condition that occurs when the volume and intensity of an individual's exercise exceeds their recovery capacity. If there is not sufficient recovery time between workouts, progress is stifled. Overtraining is often thought of as absolute, or a black and white phenomenon.  Someone that exercises often or an athlete may be slightly overtrained and will still achieve progress, just not as much as if they didn't overtrain,  which will result in an increased resting heart rate, slower recovery, irritability and depression, weight loss and decreased appetite. Sadly I think i'm experiencing all of the above. 


Here is an article I found useful, 9 reasons to skip your workout...sometimes







No comments:

Post a Comment